Thursday, June 28, 2012

Opening a stairwell!



Hope your week is beautiful... we have been having gorgeous weather her in SoCal!
Pony league Baseball in the evenings, gardening and alfresco dining.
 I have a little stair teaser here for Thursday! This project is our stairwell that only leads to the Master bedroom.







This house was built in late 70's a Mediterranean style... Why did they even build in the 70's or 80's! Especially here in Cali... Can you tell it is my least favorite architectural style and time!!
The stairwell was narrow, dark and won't work with my french farm house design.
The first photo is before... Note the narrow arch. My husband and son are tall and hit their heads on it!
The bottom photo is the new framed stairwell... a steel support to brace the upstairs, gives much needed height to the new landing. I designed the landing with softly curved walls and stairs to enter into the room. By opening up the wall it creates a architectural feature and brings light into the stairwell. The wall behind the chair is curved.  I have the banister designed and waiting!

 We LOVE LOVE LOVE how it turned out. Even framed....it's beautiful to me!

Have a beautiful day!
xo,
me

3 comments:

  1. Wowzers, Gail...what a wonderful improvement you've made. Doesn't this just make you want to sing with joy that YOU DID IT? xx's

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking GREAT. We opened up our stairwell, too... but we have more of a classic cottage thing going on...1950's Lido Isle. It brought more light downstairs, too. Great vision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is looking gorgeous! I cannot wait to see it done. Have a lovely weekend ahead, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a comment. Visit often and say Hello!
xo,
Gail